Have you ever imagined having a horse or pony in your home? Do you like using technology in creative ways? Using a cell phone, Google’s 3D animal feature allows you to place augmented reality (AR) animals wherever you want—even in your own home!
Currently there are 33 animals to choose from, including a 3D horse and a 3D Shetland pony!
What is augmented reality?
Augmented reality is any system that has these three basic features:
- a combination of real and virtual worlds,
- real-time interaction,
- and accurate 3D representation of virtual and real objects.
What is 3D?
3D refers to a shape or object that has three dimensions – length, width and height.
What Android phones support ‘view in your space’ for Google 3D animals?
While just about all phones will support the ability to View in 3D, not all devices support the View in your space feature. That’s the feature that allows you to make the animals appear as if they’re in your world when viewed with your phone’s camera.
For you to use the View in your space feature for 3D animals, you have to have a phone or other device that is compatible. At the moment, only phones that support Google’s ARCore allow you to see the 3D animals using augmented reality in your home.
Click here and scroll down for a list of devices that support View in your space.
Another possible tech issue will be encountered by those with iphones. For some reason, Google has not enabled the sounds for each animal when using an iphone. You can see the animals and they will move, but you can’t hear them.
How to Make a 3D Horse or Shetland pony Appear
- Go to Google and search “horse” or “Shetland pony”
- Click on View in 3D (shown in image above right)
- The animal will appear against a white background, and move naturally with sounds (unfortunately there won’t be sound on an iphone).
- You can zoom-in by pinching the image or zoom out by widening your fingers.
- In object mode you can rotate the animal to change the perspective using your finger on the screen. You can even look down on top of the animal from above!
- Depending on your phone you can either click on View in your space or on AR like the phone at the right here to make the animal appear.
- Point your phone at the floor or ground and move the phone around to get the horse or pony to appear. This step may take a couple of minutes. Be patient—the horse or pony will appear!
Taking a Photo or Video
After the animal appears you can still move them around and resize them. Have fun experimenting with different orientations. See if you can get the pony to interact with objects in the room. A friend can stand near the pony and appear to pet her or offer a treat. You could hold grooming tools in your hands and pretend to groom the pony.
Once you’ve got your animal positioned click on the camera button to take a photo or press and hold the camera button to take a video!